We quite enjoy fermenting our own kimchi and D. has had a request from a coworker for some made particularly spicy. So, below is what we ended up with after visiting the farmers’ market to pick up daikon and Thai bird peppers.
The ingredients for this dish are:
- 3 heads of Nappa / Chinese cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, halved, quartered, and sliced
- 1 daikon radish, halved and sliced
- 3 sheets of roasted nori (seaweed sheets), cut to strips
- maybe 15 Thai bird peppers, split open
- 3/4 cup gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
- 1 cup kosher salt (not shown)
And the preparation is:
- Salt the cabbage, massage a bit, and let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse the cabbage well, drain, and mix with everything else.
- Cram everything into your fermentation crock.
- Cover with the appropriate weights.
- Top up with filtered water (removing the chlorine here, really).
- Wait several weeks.
D’s coworker is off on holiday for several weeks, at which point this should be nice and fermented.
-D & T